Sunday, August 1, 2021

Farwell to another

On Saturday, I went over to Luck to attend the memorial service for Doris Henriksen. She had died during quarantine.  Doris was married to Kris, who was my dad's first cousin. Kris passed away in April of 2014.  Kris and Doris were a big part of the West Denmrk Community my whole childhood and until now.  At our house, Doris had a nickname of 'Dodo'.  There is some thought that this nickname started with my aunt and Uncle, Chris and Elsie, when their young daughter Marilyn couldn't say Doris.

My mom, Pauline, was good friends with Doris. Since neither of them had grown up in the West Denmark community, I think they bonded over being Outlaws.

The Henriksen kids put together a very nice day of memorial for Doris. The church service was traditional with the congregation singing two Danish favorites, 'The Ash Grove' and 'Evening Star'.  And there was ringing of the church bell 95 times for Doris's 95 years on this Earth.  At the lunch at the Parish Hall, there was time for sharing of memories and many of Doris's family members were prepared with a story or two. There was laughing and tears & generally a lovely hour spent in remembering.

There were many cousins there that I know only a little bit because they did not grow up in the West Denmark community. I have become friends with several of them through the Facebook but it was also nice to see them and hear their stories.

Doris had a real knack for rosemaling. She was prolific and produced many different items. Many times the wooden items that she rosemaled had been created by Kris in the woodworking shop.  When I got home yesterday afternoon, I looked at a small cheese board that I have and verified that it was a Doris original.  (I'm guessing sister in law Lois gave me this as a gift.) It's a charming bit of Doris that hangs over my kitchen sink.


Kris & Doris are laid to rest not far from Dad & Ev in the West Denmark cemetery. I'll be sure to pay my respects when I stop at the cemetery to water Dad & Ev's plant.  And I'll think of Doris often when I'm standing at the sink. 

Farewell to Kris & Doris.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails