Sunday, August 29, 2021

Everything is figure-outable.

A few years ago, I found a little wall decoration that says, "everything is figure-outable".  It made me think of Dad, who was part MacGyver and a master at solving problems.  Often working alone making cabinetry or installing cabinets, he would figure out how to lift, prop,  or manufacture a solution. I like to think problem solving was a trait that made me successful at Coors, and also as a single woman who owns a home.

One of my Coors bosses gave me some sage advice one day.  He said you can't schedule your time so tight doing things, that you have no think time. Think time is what makes for good problem solving.  I have gone back to that notion time and again when I'm faced with a problem. Taking time to noodle on the problem, almost always pays off.

The new mattress and box springs were a little taller than my old set & the old set was plenty high.  I have been waiting to make up the bed to give myself some think time.  If I did nothing, I knew I would grumble everytime I got in and out of bed. My choice seemed to be cutting off the legs of the sled bed about 2 or 3 inches.   I knew this would not be easy and had potential for an unsatisfactory result, plus I might need help.   So, I continued to noodle on it. Sleeping in the guest room is not inconvenient,  so I had time to think. 

When I took the bed apart to clean carpets, I did look at the side rails and made an attempt to remove the support for the slats, thinking I could lower it. But I gave up on that idea because the supports were not only screwed on, but also glued with whatever glue is used in China. I tried giving one them a good knock with a hammer, it did not budge.

This morning, I decided I needed to make that idea work. So,  I leaned the mattress & box spring up against the wall & took one of the side rails out to the garage.  With some encouragement from a chisel and hammer claw, I was able to pop that support off, and then reattach it about 2" lower.  It actually went much easier than expected. 

Once both were done,  I was ready to put the slats back on,  that is when I noticed that the center supports needs to be trimmed 2 inches too. Of course. It just had not occurred to me.  So,  I measured and started to head to the garage to use the chop saw, then something made me come back and remeasure. I had missed the 1inch of the supports, so would have had supports 1" too short.  Measure twice, cut once. Another Dad-ism.  That job went fast, and the bed frame was once again assembled. I flopped the box spring down. Now it fits inside the bedframe.

After
 



This bedroom set was in my house as part of the 'staging. It is not high quality furniture, but looks good from the outside.

I gained 2 inches of height by moving the supports. It is exactly what I needed. 


The chisel was the perfect tool.  Once I got some muscle behind it, the rest was easy.


Two inches doesn't seem like that much looking at it, but it is the difference of being able to sit down on the bed versus having to launch up onto the bed.

Before


It is not a complicated problem to solve, but it did take some think time.

I'm really happy I did not have to mess with cutting the legs off.  Not only for the hassle that would have been, but also because now it is fixed and the design of the bed legs remains unchanged. 

Now that all the work is done, my bedroom is back.


It's all good.

I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep tonight on my new Sealy Posturepedic Opportune II.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails