Thursday, February 22, 2018

Mizzle

I may have heard this word before, but never have used it in a sentence.
On Wednesday when I was the pronouncer for the Northern Regional Spelling Bee, this word, mizzle, was the end of the bee for the 4th place speller.


I have some latitude as the pronouncer.
I can omit words in the Scripp's word list if it is done before the competition begins, and I provide the two judges with that information.
Normally, I only omit words that I am not confident in my ability to pronounce correctly.
I considered omitting mizzle as I wasn't familiar with it, but I'm pretty careful not to get carried away with omissions, so I left it in.
Dang.
It's hard to see these kids get eliminated.
That student will probably remember that word all his life.
miz·zle
ˈmizəl/
dialect
noun
1.light rain; drizzle.
verb
1.rain lightly.
  1. "it was mizzling steadily"

It was a good bee.
The last 3 spellers were really good and we went a total of 16 rounds,
the longest bee in my 3 years history of pronouncing.
No controversy this year either, which is a first and is probably directly related to the judges and me being better organized in how we conduct the bee.
The first place winner had a sort of goth look to her style, and she was very confident in her spelling.
The 2nd place winner was so happy and his parents were totally beaming with pride.
It's a very fun event.  I love volunteer gigs that are quick and done!

We are expecting another big snow storm today, not much chance of mizzle.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails