Thursday, March 27, 2014

It just plain makes me sad

Deer just can't seem to stay off the roads.  
I've grown accustomed to seeing roadkill along our roads and I've had some close calls as well.  When the deer cause a near accident, it's easy to swear at them.  Dead deer along the road are so common, that it doesn't really even register anymore.  But, having said that, I do love seeing deer in the wild.

So, on Wednesday, when I looked out my living room window, and saw a deer standing in my neighbor's driveway, I was delighted.  The deer was just moseying along, checking the ground for anything to eat.
Of course, I grabbed my camera, and headed to the front door to get a better look in hopes of getting a good photo or two.
Once I zoomed in on the deer, I wasn't excited anymore and was instantly sad.
It is obvious that this deer has had an encounter with a moving vehicle.
One side has a huge flap of skin missing and abrasions to the legs, the other side of the deer's head has injuries, likely from hitting the pavement.

I'm not sure if an animal can recover from injuries like this.
At least the deer was walking and I suppose that gives me some hope that the injuries may not be life threatening.
Last evening, on my way home, I drove past the area where I had seen the deer and I could see it laying down, hunkered in for the night.
This morning I called my local DNR Wildlife Biologist to ask for guidance.
What I guess I already knew, was confirmed.  
If possible, the deer should be left alone and let Mother Nature decide its fate.
If the deer is laying down incapacitated, the DNR will step in.
The Wildlife Biologist was very helpful and kind and I appreciated his counsel.
Later on I saw the deer up walking and nibbling on pine tree branches, so for now, it is doing okay.
Right now, it is snowing like crazy, at least 3 inches of new snow is on the ground, I hope he's hunkered down in his bed.  I'll keep an eye out for him and see how he progresses.  And I'll call the DNR if I think it is the right thing to do,
but for now, I'll just worry.

1 comment:

Jack Pynesapp said...

They shoot horses don't they? This is very sad. It seems like there is something to be done but I don't know what. That's an awful wound and it would be amazing if this guy survived.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails