Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Concerts

A couple of weeks ago, friends P & C and I attended an unusual concert in Barron at the Community Center.  It was my first visit to this theater and it is a nice venue for such a small town.
The performers were Baladino, a musical group from Israel.
Three men and one woman who came to share their culture with local school kids and gave a concert to the public as a bonus.  It was fun to hear of their impression of winter in Wisconsin as the hosts had taken them cross country skiing & snowmobiling.  It was cute to hear them talk about the cold and how worried they were about coming here and how once they were here they had to buy more socks and gloves and scarves.
I chuckled when they said that they had never had to wear pants over their pants before.
There were many grade school aged kids at the concert and it was obvious that they had formed an admiration and bond for these Israeli performers during their time together.
Before the concert, as we waited to be seated in the theater, I overheard one little boy tell his Mom "I have been waiting all day for this!  I can't wait to get their autograph."
Baladino - the story behind the music made it even more enjoyable
I wasn't sure I would like this music until they played their first note.
The music has a mournful sound and is very soothing.
The lead vocalist had a voice that I'll never forget.
I downloaded their album to my phone and have been listening to it at night while I read.
I was happy to see these people being welcomed here in Northern Wisconsin, it's important for us to remember that not every person who has middle eastern features is a bad person.  Sometimes the news really skews our opinions of others, and frankly, in this area, there are limited opportunities for exposure to diversity in thought and culture.
This experience was priceless.
***
Last weekend, P & C and I headed to Eau Claire to hear the Chippewa Valley Symphony.
We took the opportunity to have a wonderful dinner out at Fuji.
I love sushi, and it was delish!

When we arrived at the State Theater, the Chippewa Valley Youth Symphony members were playing in small groups in the lobby while we waited for entrance to the theater.


There was also an art show in the gallery of work done by 3rd graders.
It was some clay, some textile and some collage, and all very interesting.
Finally, we were seated in the theater and then had an enjoyable evening listening to Russian composer music played by the Chippewa Valley Symphony, a piano and symphony piece played by a young woman who had won a youth musician contest and finally two pieces by the Chippewa Valley Youth Symphony.
It was a long concert with many interesting pieces played by very accomplished performers.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails