Friday, September 27, 2013

My company has kept me on my toes

It has been fun having Dad & Ev here and we have kept busy.  While I still have pictures to post from party # 2 on Sunday, I think I'll skip ahead to yesterday and drop in a couple.  We took the circle drive yesterday.  North out of Rice Lake on 53 (with a side trip to the cranberry bog) then West on 70 at Spooner to Alpha and the Burnett County Co-Op Cheese Store.  After loading up on enough cheese for 6 months, we headed South on Hwy 87 to Cushing.  It was a perfect fall day and the drive was very nice.  I didn't do my usual "HIT THE BRAKES" when I saw Sandhill Cranes, etc, being mindful of my passengers who aren't used to that.
At Cushing we headed back East on County Trunk N towards Luck.  Familiar territory as it was where Dad grew up and also where I spent my youth.  We stopped at my cousin Paul & Maggie's for a quick look at what is left of the barn that they dismantled and finally burned.
Another artifact that has surfaced was an old cane pole that was likely the one that Dad used as a kid.
My second cousin, Paul and his son Karsten think it still has some fishing time in it.  
More to come on this adventure later.

We left Paul & Maggie's and crossed the road to check out where our homestead was.  That building was also dismantled and burned but leaves a beautiful building site for the new owner who is also a cousin.
Finally, we headed for Luck to have supper with Gus and Lois.
Lois tried a new recipe on us and we gave it a strong thumbs up!
We were home by 9:30pm which gave us time to get settled to watch a story about my second cousin, Albert Ravenholt, on KARE11 Magazine segment Land of 10,000 Stories.
Click here to view the segment - Albert Ravenholt
It was a day that was very near perfect.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails