Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Coldest weather in four years

This is my 4th winter in Rice Lake.  This week we are having temperatures well below zero.
I heard on the news that yesterday was the coldest day in 4 years.
I remember that first winter here, we had record snow falls and record cold.
I wondered what I had gotten into by moving here, 
but since then, the winters have been quite mild.
The bird feeders have been very busy during these very cold days.
I believe this little baby is a Hoary Redpoll vs a Common Redpoll.
The marking differences are subtle, but I'll make it my best guess.
The suet blocks disappear almost over night.
My yard has become very wood pecker friendly,
I hope that is a good thing in the long run.
The little red band across the nape of the neck of a downy woodpecker male is a bright flash of bright color.

Lucky for me, I don't HAVE to go out on these cold days.
On Monday, I did venture to my piano lesson.  My car was barely warm by the time I got to the music shop and then was icy again when I came out after just 30 minutes.
I happened on a man walking with a gas can as I was headed home, so I turned around and went back and picked him up, took him to the gas station and then back to his car.  This below zero weather is no time to run out of gas, it is really life threatening weather.
Today was a home day, spending time on my computer games and holding cats.
Life is Good.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails