Tuesday, May 25, 2021

The ugly & the good

 The Ugly
This time of year, the June bugs make going outside at night, near a light, a dreaded experience.  Just last night I waited a little too far into the evening to go out to grab the hummingbird feeders and was greeted with June bugs.  They want to latch on to anything and they totally gross me out.  I remember being in Luck for nephew Ryan's high school graduation about 25 years ago now, and after the ceremony, Dad and Ev & I stopped at the local liquor store to get some beer.  I came out of the store with a case of beer in each hand and was bombarded by the June bugs under the light by the door. They were attaching to my silky white blouse.  I did some kind of unholy dance and sprint and scream.  I remember Dad and some guy at the gas pump getting a real good laugh out of my antics.  It continues to be a vivid memory for me, and not in a good way.

The only good June bug is a dead june bug.  This one is floating in its watery grave.  Some bird will come and pluck him and have a feast.

They have sticky grabbers and once they attach, they hold on for dear life.  I caught this one crawling down the screen, probably not long for this world as I don't think they have a life cycle of more than a day or two.  Good riddance dude.

The Good
It is Peony time.  My peonies have started to open and by the looks of the buds, it is going to be another banner year.




The Lupines are opening up too.  I dug up some Lupines at bridge pal Carol's house about 5 years ago.  They spread, which does not bother me, and now I have a pretty good crop.  I'm trying to get them established in the ditch too, but so far have not been successful.  
In the background you can make out the hops, they are doing well and on the climb.  I found 2 volunteer hop vines in the yard.  One by the back deck is really taking off and I'm going to have to find a tall trellis for him to climb.  Another small vine is started next to a tall tree trunk, and I'm hoping he takes off and covers that tall stump.  Sadly, the one by the old ladder, is very slow to get going this year, so I'm going to see if I can find a new plant at the nursery.

Yesterday I added several large clumps of white violets to the ditch project.  It rained overnight and they already look like they are taking hold.  Eventually that ditch will be less weeds and more flowers.
Right now it still kind of ugly, but it is trending towards good with each new plant that I add.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails