Monday, May 17, 2021

Mowing is dangerous

 My lawn got mowed today and it needed it.  My lawn dude only mows, no trimming, so after he was gone, I went out with my push mower to cut in tightly around flower beds and edges.  

I was in the backyard, trying to knock down the tall grass around the Ash trees.  Suddenly, 3 or 4 tiny baby bunnies came flying out of somewhere. I suppose there was a nest in the ground.  I couldn't see a nest or remnants of a nest, so I'm just not sure.

Of course it scared the daylights out of me, but those little babies were truly terrified.  I saw one go running and dive head first into a space between two cement blocks.  I didn't see where the others went.

Hiding in plain sight, for a long time he had his nose deep in the space,
only his little rump was showing.

He got braver and was looking around.  The next time I looked, he was gone.

I know that the recommendation in this case is to leave it to the mother rabbit to gather up the babies again.  I went and looked a couple of times and could not see any babies, so I'm very hopeful that Mom has them corralled and is fixing the mess I made of the nest.

Mother Nature knows best, but digging a nest in the ground does not seem like the best plan.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails