Monday, November 30, 2020

Scholarship Evals

 I volunteered to participate on a regional review process of scholarship applications for the Herb Kohl Student Excellence Scholarship.  It's a big scholarship and the application is lengthy.

Today I started on my 9 assigned applications.  I have completed my review of 4 of those documents.  The system is set up nicely for the reviewer, but it does take time to read all of the answers and essay written by the student and the letters of recommendations that are included.

Overall, I see that the level of community involvement and extracurricular activities is very high in many of our high school students.  Perhaps these kids are the overachievers but even if they are, I am impressed and hopeful.  

I don't know any of these students of course, but after looking through about 1/2 of my assigned applications, it is hard to find much fault.  My heart sank when I saw that one student missed filling in a whole section, when clearly from the other comments, there was experience to share.

I am struck by the impact of Covid 19 on these kids.  Every one of them mentioned an opportunity lost due to cancellation and some of these opportunities were a very big deal.  Whether they realize it or not, these kids are learning to deal with major disappointment and heart break as they navigate 2020.  


🎬🎬🎬

We are still playing Zoom/Bridge 4 times a week.  Amy's kitty DC is always a little elusive, mostly only showing her big, fluffy tail on during the Zoom.  This day, we 'almost' got so see her front end.



Stay safe, the Covid numbers are still climbing every day.

Cases overview
Barron County
Total cases
3,643
+24
Recovered
-
Deaths
41
+0
Wisconsin
Total cases
409K
+4,055
Recovered
-
Deaths
3,496
+22
United States
Total cases
13.6M
+136K
Recovered
-
Deaths
268K
+818
Worldwide
Total cases
63M
Recovered
40.3M
Deaths
1.46M

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails