Thursday, December 3, 2020

Done reading, for a little while

Today I finished up the Herb Kohl Scholarship Reviews assigned to me.  It was very interesting and I will volunteer to do it again next year if asked.  Reading these applications reinforced what I already knew, but this really drove it home, our students are paying a big price during this pandemic.  

The fact that schools are closed but bars are open chaps my ass.  If we could have had a comprehensive plan for controlling this virus from day 1, perhaps these kids would not have lost so much of what high school normally is.  I wonder if we might have had a more efficient response to the virus if it had not been an election year.  And if so, what does that say about our priorities as a country.

But back to these applications.  There was one that stood out somewhat, the others were all in the midrange.  One student left out a whole section, so that hurt the final score.  All of the applicants had impressive transcripts and letters of recommendation.

I was struck by how many activities are available to these students and that fact made me have even more respect for the small school districts that are working hard to provide these opportunities, whether they be scholastic or artistic or athletic or creative in other ways.  Quite amazing, and quite a change from 50 years ago.

It feels good to have this job done. ✅ 

I have volunteered to read essays next, based on the Kurt Vonnegut novel "Cats Cradle".  I am sure I read that years ago, but I need to get the Cliff Notes now so I can be a better judge of these essays.  This is one of the events of the Academic Decathlon that I have volunteered for each year.  I usually do interviews, and that may happen later in a Zoom setting.  

It does feel good to do a little something useful.  

🎄🎄🎄

I pulled out the Christmas Tree today. 


 It stays in the closet already decorated, so it is just a matter of pulling it out, taking off the cover and adding batteries.  I added battery powered lights to it last year, so it can sit anywhere.  It brightens up the living room.  
Today, I also put the battery candles in the windows.  
I've had those since well before I left Colorado, a QVC purchase 😊.  
I like seeing those from the outside.  
I can't seem to settle on what to do with my new-to-me Candy Cane figures, so I'll just keep noodling on it, something will come to me.  No rush.

☮Peace☮

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails