Thursday, December 24, 2020

Lille Jule Aften

December 23 is Lille Jule Aften,  Little Christmas eve.  

Danish tradition is to give an extra cup of grain to the barn animals,  some extra milk for the cats, a treat for the chickens & put something special out for the birds.
Danish Nisse are always around, but rarely seen.
They are the source of mischief and also good.
In Dad's later years he would pour himself a cocktail or two, go through his address book and call a few friends and family to wish them Happy Holidays.

I spent my Lille Jule Aften afternoon playing Zoom Bridge with Out West friends.


I had a really fun on-line event in the evening.  
I am a huge fan of the TV series The West Wing.  


This series premiered in 1999.  
I remember being at work one day, having lunch with my friend Al, & he asked if I had watched TWW the night before.  I said I didn't know what TWW even was!?  He was shocked, and told me I had to watch it, that it was great and that I would love it.  Well, how could I not watch after that.  Al is an extrovert and a proud democrat, we share many liberal views. He always made me want to be a better Democrat, as he wasn't afraid to talk about his views and to challenge the views of others.  I was a closet liberal, never wanting to have a discussion at work that might put me at odds with a workmate. 
So, long story short, I did love the show and never missed an episode for all 7 seasons and always enjoyed hashing it over with Alfonso.  

More recently, I was able to re-watch TWW on Netflix and since 2016, I have watched every episode again.  Then, I ran across a podcast hosted by former TWW cast member Joshua Molina and Hrishikesh Hirway. Most nights, once in bed, I would watch an episode of the TWW and then listen to the podcast about that episode on TWWW. Nerdy but I found it entertaining and relaxing.

In the mess of all things Trump, it was an escape to what I wish politics could be like.  

I recently heard that Netflix was taking TWW off and it was moving to another paid streaming service, so I have been trying to get through all the episodes again, but only managed to re-watch 2 seasons. 

Then, last week, I saw a posting on Twitter by Joshua Molina, that he and Hrishikesh, were going to do one last podcast, this one live, before TWW left Netflix. 
For $5 I could be part of the fun.  
I did not hesitate.

The event was a Zoom call, and there were a few thousand folks joining in.
Once most of us were logged in, we synced up and all watched the same episode on our home TVs and Joshua and Hrishikesh entertained us with discussion about the show, the cast and crew and other non related items that popped into their heads.
It was a hoot.


I had a couple of beers (and so did Joshua) and I enjoyed the show so much.
We watched 2 episodes.   
Both had a Christmas theme and one was actually taking place on December 23.

In Excelsis Deo
 9.2 (1,250)
 
When a homeless veteran dies on the National Mall and his body remains uncollected for hours, Toby becomes fixated on getting him a proper burial.
Noël
 9.4 (1,307)
 
Josh speaks to a psychiatrist about the events of the last three weeks: Toby hired musicians for the foyer, an Air Force pilot disobeyed orders, Yo-Yo Ma performed at the White House, and Josh managed to cut his hand quite badly.
The hosts said that they had so much fun, they would be thinking about doing something similar again, I hope they do.  It made for a very fun evening.  
This kind of entertainment feels so intimate and yet there were thousands who enjoyed the live event.  
This is one silver lining to the whole Covid19 deal, creative ways for artists to entertain us.  I don't think these guys got rich off $5 per viewer, but it likely covered the expense of the Zoom setup.
I would have paid $20.

1 comment:

westofdenver said...

Hope you enjoyed your Lille Jule Aften! Did you have some rødgrød med fløde and Gammeldanske? Or just beer and nachos? Take care. Love, Mark

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails