Friday, November 27, 2020

I guess it was inevitable

I guess it was inevitable, there are so many people with the Covid19 in my county, today I heard that a good friend of mine has passed.  

Carolyne was a Master Gardener and over the 10 years of knowing her, she has shared her knowledge and many, many plants with me.  One memorable day was when she offered me a clump of Siberian Iris.  We started to dig, and we dug and we dug.  I thought we would end up in China.  The final 'clump' was almost too much for the 2 of us to sling into the back of my car.  Once home, I hacked the clump up into 10 or 12 small clumps and planted them in a circle around the stump of a birch tree at the corner of my property and the county road.  The iris have spread now and it is a wonderful big clump of flowers now with lots of room to keep spreading year over year.  The motorists on the county road see the flowers more often than I do, but I like that okay.

She had suggested that I plant the showy flowers where I would easily see them, looking out the kitchen window in the summer, I see some yellow flowers that she gave me called Sundrops.  I had intended to give her a clump of my Jacob's Ladder last summer in appreciation.  But those Sundrops out the kitchen window will always remind me of Carolyne's kindness.

Carolyne sold her excess veggies at a stand at the end of her driveway.  I stopped there several times over the summer to pick up tomatoes and kale.  25 cents for a bag of cherry tomatoes or a bag of kale.  The last time I stopped there, her husband saw me out there and motored over on the lawn mower to chat.  He said to me that they noticed I was a hermit.  I replied that I thought most people were with the virus.  He told me that he wasn't into the mask wearing and that the two of them were still out and about and not too worried about the virus.  It was the last time I stopped at the veggie stand.

Every Spring Carolyne would hold a plant sale at her home.  She would dig up and split her plants and always had a ton of stuff for sale.  This last spring I missed it due to covid.  I would usually go and pick up a handful of new plants, all of which would grow nicely once transplanted into my yard.

She had been an RN and was always concerned and caring about the health of others and their families.

I got to know her through the bridge group in Cameron.  She was a good bridge player and such a delight at the table.  She played competitively but never a harsh word, and she won often.  We attended a couple of bridge retreats together and played cards from dawn to the wee hours.  I remember one time we both were laughing to the point of silliness over a preempt bid that for some reason hit our funny bones at the same time.  (You had to be there.)

Add caption
We had a blast at this retreat.  I brought these silly 'deck of cards glasses' for everyone.


Carolyne & I shared an interest in public TV, especially historical programs like The Roosevelts.  She was an avid reader and a loyal library patron.

We differed in our political views, it was black and white for her.  We were friends anyway and avoided too much conversation that would lead us into conflict.

A year or so ago, we even shared the same scammer contractor.  She always felt badly about giving me his name, and while I know he finally did the work for her, I don't think they ever settled up right on the money.  I got away without too much trouble and did get some work done and I never held my friend responsible for any of the rest.

The last time I spoke to Carolyne, she called to see if I would come to her house to play bridge.  It was after I started my Safer At Home lifestyle and I said no thanks.  I worried because I knew she and her husband continued to be out and about, playing cards at the houses of friends and eating out.  I heard that she had worked the election as well.

I'm so sad to lose such a kind friend.

Obituary

Carolyne Joyce Rogers, 78, of Chetek, passed away on Tuesday, November 24, 2020 at the Mayo Clinic – St. Mary’s Health Care System in Rochester, Minnesota.  Carolyne was born on February 17, 1942 in IL the daughter of Bud and Nelda Benner.

Services will be held at a future date and will be posted when available.   Please check back for updated information

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails