Thursday, July 2, 2020

112 days of investing in my health and flattening the Covid-19 curve

It was blessed hot and humid today.  
I buttoned down all the shades early in the day and laid low to stay cool, tried to run the a/c as little as possible.  It's normal for this time of year, and I think this weather is good for ripening tomatoes and growing good corn, so it is a good thing.  
But it is not good for humans... humans like me anyway.
🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞


No matter how open-minded, socially conscious, anti-racist I think I am, I still have old, learned hidden biases that I need to examine.
It is my responsibility to check myself daily for my stereotypes, prejudice, and ultimately, discrimination.  

(posted on Facebook by Cartoon Called Life)

My list of reading & movies to learn and unlearn the history of racism in our country continues to grow.

"The Untold Story of Emmett Luis Till".  Another disturbing story of hatred, bigotry and murder in our country's history of racism.  A 14 year old boy, who made the mistake of whistling at a white woman in 1955, was brutally beaten and killed.  His mother was courageous through it all and did not let it go without shining a light on the crime. 
I'm so impressed with all the young people who went to Mississippi during Freedom Summer. This documentary was full of history that I missed, partly because I was a young teen, but mostly because we didn't study the contemporary history after this happened. Black lives matter.
✅Documentary on Netflix called 13th
✅The movie I Am Not Your Negroe
✅The movie Selma
The Central Park Five by Ken Burns
Documentary of the accusation and false imprisonment of 5 boys in New York.
When They See Us on Netflix
The story of the Central Park five as a movie.
 A special report hosted by Alison Stewart.  It was a very interesting selection of interviews and worth viewing for sure.  I have also subscribed to Alison Stewart's podcast, "Need to Know".
Round table discussion on Zoom with other Barron County Democrats
This is a documentary that is revealing and includes history that is new to me.  The systemic racism is all about power and from the very roots of our country, there has been a baked in thought that blacks are inferior and that whites being superior was good for all.  This was designed into our government and the law, and made law enforcement dependent on white supremacy.
The day that the slaves in Texas learned of the Emancipation Proclamation that had been signed 2 years before now celebrated across our country.
It was amazing, touching, sad, happy, and inspirational.


🌣🌣🌣🌣🌣.
I had some mini carrots in the refrigerator that were getting a little long in the tooth, I looked up a recipe to make cold carrot soup.  It was easy and should taste very carroty after a night in the fridge.
Cooked down the carrots with some onions.

Added some broth and went to work with the immersion blender.
Sidenote:  I think I bought this little immersion blender in the 1980s, I think it was a fine investment.

Heading into the refrigerator, the recipe says to let it chill overnight.
I did a taste test, it is good.
A bowl of this chilled soup with a dollop of sour cream will be a nice summer treat.


Be Safe.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails