Friday, December 17, 2021

Colorado Pals

When I lived in Colorado, I played bridge once-a-month with a group of friends.  We had all worked together at Lutheran Hospital and had been friends for a number of years.  Sometimes our bridge night was about cards, but often it was about catching up, dinner, a few glasses of wine and some laughing.  There was usually a lot of laughing.

This photo was taken in 2007 in my house in Arvada, CO.  I suppose everyone came from work.  Everyone looked quite dressed well, except for me, but that was reflective of the kind of work we did.
Wanda, Kay
Annette, Roche
Our bridge group 12/2007


I got word yesterday that friend, Annette, is not good.  She has been in declining health for quite a few years.  I think she has had diabetes and years ago she had cancer of the bladder.  The update I got is that she is mostly sleeping with hospice care.

Annette had become quite reclusive over the past 10 years.  I would only get news of her occasionally from friend Karen and my notes & cards went unanswered.  I just think being chronically ill must have been overwhelming for her.

I've been mulling over some random memories of Annette all day and woke up about 4am and decided to write them down, then maybe I can go back to sleep.

Annette and I had a lot of fun together back in the day.  In mid 1980s, she and I signed up for a match making service in Denver called 'MatchMate'.  After submitting a questionnaire, and paying a monthly fee, you were sent a list of potential 'matches'.  I can't exactly remember how it went from there.  I think you checked off those you were interested in, sent it back and then somehow there was contact made.  This was all before personal computers, but as I remember it, it felt safe.  We each went on several dates with our 'matches'.  I dated my best match, Gar, for a number of years.  I can't remember if Annette had any great success.  Later, Annette also used personal ads to meet men.  She was more motivated, & braver, than I was.  She married one of those dates and now Doug is caring for her in her last days.

Annette and I also went 'clubbing' together back in the day.  We went to dance clubs around town.  I can hardly believe that I'm typing this as I am sitting here now.  But we did.  We researched where the good clubs were and would plan a night out with ultimate the goal to meet men.  That never worked out great for either of us, but we had some fun and did some dancing.

Annette had a big German Shepherd dog, what was his name...  I want to say Maxy, but I don't think that is quite right.  I can remember going to her apartment and visiting, he was a nice dog.  Annette had a lot of class.  She dressed like a million bucks, always.  I never saw her without her hair done and looking sharp.  Red looked so great on her and she wore it often.

Annette was a fabulous shopper.  I have always remembered that she told me one time that clothes that end up on the sale rack are there for a reason, and it is never good.  She always knew when there was a 'gift with purchase' on cosmetics.  I can't remember what brand we were buying in those days, but the idea was to wait until there was a free gift.  There were a few of us that spent many a Saturday out shopping.  There would be lunch and it would be a fun outing. 

We shared a love of goldsmith Pat Patterson's jewelry too. Trips to his shop in Boulder were not cheap, but I still have many pieces that I bought there, (although my jewelry wearing days and few & far between these days).  

Annette was from a huge family, were there 12 kids? or 17? something outrageous.  I would marvel at her stories of such a large family and she was very close with her Mom.  She was from New Jersey I think.  I always remembered that she was at a Mets baseball game that is the longest in history, I was always so jealous.  
(I googled it here are the details:  It was May 31, 1964, and the Mets hosted Willie Mays and the San Francisco Giants at Shea Stadium for what turned out to be anything but a typical Sunday doubleheader. The opener started at 1:05 p.m., but the nightcap lasted 23 innings and didn't end until well after 11 p.m)

Annette traveled to Wisconsin with friends Roche & LeAnna to attend Dad & Ev's wedding in 1987.  My family all loved her.  Dad & Ev were so tickled that she was there.  Her beautiful dark skin turned a few heads, of course.  There wasn't much diversity in Luck, Wisconsin back in those days.  I remember  what a champ she was on the day of the wedding, there was drama over my Dad's pants needing hemming and she took to the needle and thread and helped calm down a nervous bride.

 Her home was beautifully decorated and tasteful, and comfortable.  Annette was a collector of all things owls. Wherever we went, she was on the lookout for clever items depicting owls.  A couple of years ago I got a good photo of a snowy owl and sent her a copy, but I didn't hear back. I know she got it though. So it goes.

Annette was a very talented cook.  I always enjoyed her bridge night dinners, and wine.

I'm guessing that more memories of Annette will pop into my mind as time go on, those were the days.

I hope the rest of Annette's days are peaceful.  
I count my self lucky to have had her as a friend & cohort.
Rest well my friend.
💔

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nicely done. Lots of good memories.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails