Saturday, October 16, 2021

Storage time

 It was a breezy, sunny day on Saturday, so I wanted to get busy and haul the deck cushions to the garage for winter storage.

But first....I had an old coffee table stashed in my walk-in closet, I wanted to move that to the garage,  to make room for the cedar chest, that I wanted to move out of the guest room, to make room for a corner desk to hold the modem/router, printer & desktop computer, to make room in the sewing room for the cutting table.  Whew, that is a string of dominoes!  And because I wanted to use the coffee table to store the deck cushions, I had to start there. 

I brought in some casters and rolled the coffee table out the front door, slid it down the steps to a 2-wheeler, and scooted it into the back corner of the garage. 

The long story of this table starts in Boulder, CO. There was a furniture store selling custom made futon couches and other furniture.  All the furniture was made out of pine 2x4 & 4x4. Rustic.  I had the futon couch & coffee table and maybe a chair,  I can't really remember.   I also don't remember where the couch ended up,  but this table made the rounds. I think friend LeAnna had it for awhile & sister Laila had it for awhile. And then I hauled it to Wisconsin.  It's got a lot of years of use left in it. 

The feet are in buckets just to keep them dry. 

Now,  in the garage,  I'm going to add casters and this will be a handy work table. I'm pretty sure I have gotten my money's worth out of this table.

For this winter,  I put my rack on it for the deck cushions.

I used to store these cushions up in the garage rafters, but I decided it was just a little risky going up and down the ladder. So, now I'm into storing things on the floor level. Safety first.

Step one of the dominoes is done, tomorrow I'll get the cedar chest moved. 

I surprised myself. After I vacuumed the closet, I thought I might as well move the cedar chest.   This chest became mine when my Mom died.  Inside was a very old, hand sewn, quilt top, a set of table cloth & napkins with had tatted edging. And some old silver set pieces-some table ware & a set of candle sticks. 
A friend of Dad & Ev's refinished it for me in about 1985, after it had been stored on Mom's garage and an outside shed.  It looked black, but after her refinish work, it's a beautiful cedar chest. 

My Mother was raised by her Great Aunt Ida, they called her 'Bubble'.  I never figured out why they called her that,  I only knew her as a very old woman living in an old folks home, nothing bubbly about my memories of her. This cedar chest had belonged to Ida "Bubble".

Right now it is storing my bike accessories and some odds and ends.  I'll work on repurposing that space later. 

Now,  I'm ready for the corner desk assembly. TBD on that timing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails