Friday, October 8, 2021

Fall Tour 2021

 I took a drive on Thursday with a friend from Cameron.  
We wanted to see some fall colors and have a little adventure.

The morning was gray, and a little foggy, as we headed North out of Rice Lake, I wondered if we had picked the worst day of the fall to go on our little day trip.

We started with a delicious lunch at The Little Gift House in Solon Springs.  Chicken Salad on Cranberry & Wild Rice Bread.  Truly a tasty treat.  The seating is all outside due to Covid precautions, and as luck would have it, the clouds had cleared and the sun was warm as we sat on the little deck and enjoyed the view and our lunch.

Then we continued on to Amnicon Falls State Park.  I had never been, Carolyn had been many years ago.  This is a lovely little park on the Amnicon River just 85 miles North of my home.  

We paid our $3 day pass and then started to explore.  The first road we took was a loop through the camp sites.  Many tents were pitched and the sites were beautiful with lots of trees and distance to the next camper.

The next road took us to the parking lot for the trails and the falls.  It was an easy, short walk to the viewing of the falls from the parking lot / rest rooms.
Carolyn is an avid Vikings fan, but I forgive her because she also loves the Brewers.

Click here--->>>> Short Video of the Falls




 We found a bench to sit on near the falls and were visiting when I looked up to see Patty & Terry Mattson, from Luck!  Terry and I were classmates at Luck and I consider them good friends.  We had such a nice visit with the backdrop of the roaring waterfall.

I really like this state park, this morning I ordered my annual pass to Wisconsin State Parks.


Our next stop was Wisconsin Point.  My favorite place to visit and a first for Carolyn.  It was breezy and cool and the big waves were rolling in.  We had our lawn chairs and perched until we were about frozen.  I loved it and hated to leave.


The boardwalks to the beach make them accessible to all now. It truly is a wonderful addition by the DNR to this beautiful spot.  The restrooms are also quite excellent.

From Wisconsin Point we continued into Superior with the intent of trying to stay close to the lake and see if we could get near the ships.  That didn't work out too well although we saw some residential parst of Superior and we did manage to get to Barker's Island, where the marina is, and that was new to me.
We happened to see two Seaplanes taking off and landing.  I'm not sure if they were just having fun or practicing, but it was very interesting to see.  Reminded me of the old 'Sky King and Penny' TV series.


This park on Barker's Island had a nice band shell, memorial to Great Lakes Seamen, beach, picnic tables, miniature golf, a ship that could be toured and benches along the water.

And a view of Duluth.

By now we were ready for some dinner.  
Carolyn had picked out a couple of spots that were reported to have excellent ribs.  I had no preference, so we went in search of her choices.  
Izzy's Barbeque Lounge and Grill was first on the list.  We found it. Located in an industrial area, and looking like a local dive.  I was game, but once we pulled into the parking lot, Carolyn got cold feet and we decided to move on.
Our second choice was called Eddie's World Famous Ribs.  I put the address into the GPS and it started taking us to the outskirts on the East side of town.  This did not seem right, and I have had GPS failures in the past, so we pulled over and I pulled the website up on my phone.  I looked at the directions, and it was confirmed that the GPS was correct.  We drove out through a residential area, near the railroad tracks, and there was Eddie's.  It was a very good choice.  The cocktails were well balanced and had a healthy amount of liquor.  Carolyn had the 1/2 rack and I had fresh whitefish.  It was a delicious meal.  The atmosphere was homey and the waitress very friendly.  I'll go back for sure.

The drive home was uneventful, but I was tired after the long day of exploration. 
We drove 209 miles and had much fun.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails