Monday, March 19, 2018

Learning

I have a lot to learn about sewing techniques and also lots to learn about adapting patterns with my own color ideas.
I made the little green, shamrock table topper and wanted to adapt it to red and white to look like a Danish heart.
So, this was my first attempt, and as you can see, I chose the wrong color for border and corners, the heart disappears.  But, this is very usable for a place-mat, and the next one will be better.

I thought I'd post a few photos of the construction.
Slicing the strips.


Laying out the blocks, starting to see the pattern form.

Some corners have to be cut, on purpose.

I started to see my color choice was not going to work, but I carried on.


Look closely to see the heart shape.

Adding some batting and a backing.

Time to 'stitch in the ditch' to quilt the backing and batting to the piece.

Why does the thread always run out in mid project?
I decided to keep going and I got lucky, this time.
I didn't run out of threat before finishing.


I wonder if any other quilters are particular about their pins.
I only like super sharps, and I always keep all the pins facing the same direction.

The finished table topper.
The hearts disappear, so the next version will use a darker fabric for the borders and corners.
So, I'm learning that laying out all the pieces before sewing, can save a project.
Learning something every day.
+++
I got a package from Amazon today, post it notes, nothing fancy.
Inside was a little card thanking me for my purchase.
Nice touch.
Life is good.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails