Sunday, December 29, 2013

When does the tree go?

I've been wondering how long to leave the Christmas tree up, 
it is pretty,
 it doesn't take much space
 &
 it is pretty simple to put away
 (it lives in the closet in the off season, under a trash bag, complete with ornaments attached).

My Aunt Johanne sent me a note recently and mentioned that my grandmother used to leave her Christmas tree up until January 6th.  I've decided that date works for me as well and it will be my new custom to leave the tree up until that date each year.  Using Google to investigate the significance of the date, I found that the Danish traditions, which include celebrating Christmas the night of the 24th; celebrating first and second Christmas on the 25th and the 26th; also includes celebrating The Epiphany on January 6th.

I'm not particularly religious, and my knowledge of religious traditions is often lacking.  
Actually, I'm not much for worship and other 'churchy' activities.
I guess I would say that I am spiritual - in a way, but for me, church is about community and friendship and caring for one another.  The fact that my grandmother left her Christmas tree up until January 6th may have been mostly to recognize The Epiphany.  It may also have been so that friends and family, who visited after Christmas, could enjoy the joy of her decorated tree.

There is much talk these days about "Keeping Christ in Christmas".  
I always wonder about that statement, and now I've seen some folks wearing buttons on their winter coats displaying this demand.  If one observes Christmas as a time of wonder, joy, celebration and love, whether it be because of the birth of a Christ child, or because they love the spirit of giving and sharing and coming together with family and friends, can it really be so bad? 
And really, can anyone make anyone else "Keep Christ in Christmas"?  I think not, it has to be in your heart and mind if you want Christmas to be about Christ.
I am tempted (but never have) to say to those who promote the 'Keep Christ in Christmas' slogan:  "You celebrate Christmas for the reasons you feel are important and I will do the same."  
Until I see no one shopping in preparation for the holiday, 
I will assume that gifts, giving, sharing and friendship are still part of why we feel Christmas is a magical time of year, regardless of your religious viewpoint.

And just as my parting comment, I wish you all Happy Holidays.  
Happy for you might mean observing the religious significance of Christmas or it might mean appreciating the company of family and friends, or it might mean decorating and enjoying solitude in your home, or it might even mean a day off from work and time to sleep in.  
Whatever makes you happy, that is my wish for you this holiday season.

I'll be happy enjoying seeing my Christmas tree in the living room for another 8 days.
I love my little tree  - 12.27.2013
Happy Holidays to all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Wanda! And I love your pic with your little tree!

XOJo :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails