Saturday, December 28, 2013

Sunshine and warmth is nice

We had a very nice sunny day today with temperatures near 50.  What?
I worked on shoveling off the front deck and managed to clear about 2/3 of the area.  I also scraped at the driveway, clearing about 1/3 of the snow off the asphalt with the help of the sun.  I trudged through the deep snow to the blue spruce in the back yard and shoveled out the solar charger for the lights that are on that tree, and I retrieved the trail cam from the backyard as well.  
The birds have really been enjoying the suet bags I hung for Lille Jule Aften.
While I was outside today, one Downy Woodpecker seemed to be willing to have a photo shoot.
His head feathers are so sleek and shiny.

The red cap so distinctive

They close their eyes when they hammer into the suet and then their little tongues grab the treat.

The fine white feathers around the eye really show

Eventually he thought I was creeping a little too close for comfort.
 Just after the Downy Woodpecker flew off, I was treated with the Red Breasted Nuthatch.
He didn't stay as long but gave me a chance for a quick click anyway.
Red breasted nuthatch
It's fun to watch the birds in the yard, makes filling the bird batch, filling the seed trays and hanging the suet bags well worth the effort.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails