Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I got stuck

I headed to Iowa for a 3 day visit and ended up staying 11 days.  Kind of like Gilligan and the group who went on the 3 hour tour, eh?
My plan was to leave here Sunday forenoon and head to Iowa for a visit, but early in wee hours Ev called to say that Dad was in the ambulance being transferred from the ER in Belmond to the larger hospital in Mason City, IA.  His heart rate was very high and he was feeling pain when he took a breath.  
Obviously, I could not get there fast so decided to try to sleep a bit longer and then go as planned.  Of course, the sleeping part didn't happen and after not too much trying, I got up and packed and left for Iowa.
I arrived at the hospital in mid afternoon.  Dad was doing okay but heart rate was still not in control.  It took 3 nights in the hospital and a new heart drug before that happened.  I think too many cooks were in the kitchen on Dad's heart medicines, but once the right 'cocktail' of medicines was found, once again he felt better and his heart rate and blood pressure were under control.  He is still in atrial fib, no change there.
Thankfully, the doctor wanted him to have some rehab but the hospital in Belmond, blocks from their apartment, agreed to take Dad so I drove him there.  After 5 days there, he was stronger and well enough to go home again.  I hung around for two more days and then headed home myself.
More later on all of this, but for now it is good to know that Dad is feeling good again, getting out walking and sleeping good too.
I brought home a wicked cold, so have been slow to blog, and still recovering, so will catch this all up later.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails