Friday, November 23, 2012

First snow brings the birds back

This morning the ground is covered with about 2 or 3 inches of new snow, the first of the winter really.  As soon as I opened my eyes this morning, before I even got out of bed, I could see there were cardinals at the bird feeder in the backyard.  I also saw several little birds flitting around, and once I got out in the living room I was happy to see these infrequent visitors.
 The Tufted Titmouse is always fun to see at the feeder.
I am not sure what it is about these little birds, maybe because they are not often seen this far North, maybe it is their big eye, or maybe it is the lovely chestnut color under the wing, but not matter, I love seeing the Tufted Titmouse.

But the Titmouse was not alone.
I love diversity!
The male cardinal did not seem to mind that the gold finches were grabbing a snack with him.
The white breasted nuthatch is not nearly as social, normally he runs off the other birds at the feeder.
This chickadee stopped for a drink, too cold for a bath though.

The juncos do not normally come to the feeder, but this guy was scratching to see if any seeds were under the new snow.


This downy woodpecker was busy at the suet
And soon this hairy woodpecker took his place.  
Mrs. Cardinal stopped by
I rarely get Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal in a photo together and this downy woodpecker was keeping his distance.
I am not a shopper, so no early morning trips to the stores for me.  I think this is a good day to work on laundry and practice piano and maybe make a batch of cookies.
It feels like winter.
Just as I was about to post this entry, another pretty guy made a feeder stop.
I rarely get any photos of the jays as they are quite skittish, but this morning they were good subjects on the window feeder.
One jay showed up and I snapped a quick picture (through the window of course)

Then another joined in the snacking.  What pretty tail feathers they have.
I always love to see the bright blue flash of the jay against the winter landscape.
There was a house finch that stopped by too, I did not get a good photo, and it looked like he had an eye disease which concerns me as one of the dangers of the co-mingling at the feeder is that it could spread to others.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails