Sunday, April 22, 2012

FOY or FOL

I belong to a couple of birders groups on Facebook and often times they list a species as FOY.  First of Year for them usually means FOL (First of Lifetime) for me.
For several days I have been watching a bird moving around in a Mountain Ash tree at the edge of my yard.
I could see it was a woodpecker of some kind, 
and assumed it was a Hairy Woodpecker because of his size.
This is a hairy woodpecker on the left who is giving a lesson on territory to a downy woodpecker
who tried, unsuccessfully, to share the feeder.
But once I got the camera on him, I could see he was a FOY/FOL for me.
A Yellow Bellied Sapsucker.
Probably one of my favorite bird names, but maybe not one of my favorite birds.
As you can see, he is doing some damage to the bark on this tree to get to the sap. 

Yellow bellied sapsucker woodpecker

I sure hope the tree can recover.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails