Sunday, February 7, 2021

It is winter now

 This has been a mild winter right up until Friday, then the temperatures dropped to zero.  It is not uncommon for us to have a stretch of below zero weather in January or February, in fact, normally around basketball tournament time we can count on it.

This week it seems hard to take because it has been such a pleasant winter, with manageable amounts of snow and temperatures in the 20s and 30s.  The forecast is for about a week of these cold temperatures.  This kind of cold just adds stress into daily living.  There is worry about pipes freezing and furnaces failing.  Any hiccup instantly becomes a crisis in this kind of cold weather.  So, even though I am safe and warm in my house, there is that underlying worry that doesn't go away until the mercury climbs a bit.

One bonus is that it is sunny today and was for most of the day yesterday.  That helps my brain think it is not that cold and I think it is probably beneficial to the critters who live in the woods.  The bird feeders have been busy.  I truly amazed at the survival of a song bird in -20℉ temperatures.

The way these head feathers stand up make me think of how the hairs on my arm stand up when I get the goosebumps.
I don't think they like it if the wind catches the cone-head from behind, undignified.

Always stunning and in the wind, quite a showy bird.  I do love my Northern Cardinals.

While the Cardinal shows off his cone-head in the cold, the Mourning Doves puff up their entire coat of feathers.  They inflate to about 3 times their normal size.  I caught this one taking a nap in the sun, in the  below zero weather, but he was surrounded by his coat of many feathers.  Looks comfy.
Mother Nature gave my songbirds many techniques for survival, thankfully.


The new handicap steps that I got for Hops are working out well.
This morning, Barley was soaking of some sun on the top step, multi purpose is always a good thing.


She was looking pretty sassy in the sunshine.

Today is Superbowl Sunday.  Since the Packers lost to the Tampa Bay team, I'll be cheering for the Kansas City Chiefs.  I hope it is a good game with no injuries.

𒁸𒁸𒁸
So, I was thinking about gun control this morning.  Listening to podcasts and reading the Twitter, I am sad that we can't come together on some effective laws.  
I don't really know anyone who thinks all guns should be banned, and here in Wisconsin, hunting is one method of controlling our wildlife populations, so I can clearly see the need for hunting gun ownership.  So, what would be so bad about having an extra step involved in owning a gun.  Not unlike if you want a motorcycle, or if you want to drive a school bus, or a big rig, you have to take an exam to obtain a license.  Then, periodically, you are required to renew those licenses.  Why couldn't that work for guns.  Surely, that would not eliminate every problem, because I am sure there are people riding motorcycles without a proper license and you can certainly own a motorcycle without a license to drive it, but maybe it would slow down the real criminal in our society and really, that's the main reason for gun control.  Responsible law abiding citizens, who own guns, rarely use them for evil, well at least that is my observation, based on no scientific data.
Watching the videos from the insurrection at the US Capitol, it is clear to me that people need guidance and that citizens need protection from those folks who find their courage and manliness in possessing and displaying an automatic weapon.
It's a hot topic and I have heard the arguments that adding paperwork isn't going to stop gun violence.  Well, it might stop it, but I doubt it would make it any worse either.
I keep hoping that discussion and common sense will intervene.
Listening to the father of one of the children killed at Sandy Hook and following one of the survivors of Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, David Hogg, convinces me that we need some kind of change to our current process of selling guns and ammunition.
But until the money and power associated with the NRA and gun / ammo sellers is somehow managed, there is probably little hope for change.
𒁸𒁸𒁸

On a lighter note...
Just caught this Blue Jay perched outside the window.  He is quite puffed up too.  I have never really noticed the fringy edge of his downy coat before.




☮ peace ☮

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails