Saturday, May 6, 2023

An Adventure to the North

 On Friday I headed up to Port Wing to drop off my latest quilt top for long arm quilting.

Along the way, I had a few interesting stops.

I made a stop at our cabin to replace batteries in my trail cam and to check on things.  All was well, a little snow left and a precariously leaning smoke stack.


As I left the cabin, I ran into a Ruffed Grouse, casually crossing the road, in no apparent hurry.



Then I headed up to Lake Superior.  The wind was very brisk, 39 degrees.


White caps as far as the eye can see.



At my favorite place, Wisconsin Point, the waves were moving some sand.


The driftwood is piling up.  I'm not sure of the rules around snagging driftwood and carrying it home, but do I know that some of this will be used for bonfires later in the summer.



This little deadly beauty was sitting on a log on Alouez Bay on Lake Superior off Moccasin Mike Road to Wisconsin Point.  He stayed put for me to stop, roll down the passenger window and snap a few pics.  I only moved on when traffic pushed me to do so.  2023.05.05

Merlins are small, fierce falcons that use surprise attacks to bring down small songbirds and shorebirds. They are powerful fliers, but you can tell them from larger falcons by their rapid wingbeats and overall dark tones. Medieval falconers called them “lady hawks,” and noblewomen used them to hunt Sky Larks. Merlin populations have largely recovered from twentieth-century declines, thanks to a ban on the pesticide DDT and their ability to adapt to life around towns and cities." All About Birds








It was a fine adventure.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails