Saturday, June 18, 2022

2fer

I woke up this morning and heard a squawk that was not familiar to me.  It was about 6:30am and I had the window open in the bedroom.
After a bit, I heard more bird noises so got up to look.
I saw 2 Pileated Woodpeckers arguing on the stump of a maple tree.
I watched as they spread their wings and acted tough.  Finally, I decided I should try to get a photo.
It was not a good angle through the glass & screen, but I got something anyway.



I had never actually seen them chopping away the wood.  
They line up their beak and then pound away, as the chips of wood fly.



One stayed working on the tree and the other hopped around on the ground.
I'm not sure, but my guess is that these are juvenile birds.  There was plenty of squawking going on and pointing their beaks to the air as if they expected to be fed.



I'm not usually to interested in waking up so early, but this morning it was worth it.

This is where they are digging. By what I have read, there must be bugs down in that rotten wood. 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails