Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Another cribbage player in the family


I spent Sunday & Monday nights in Alma with Anders. He needed someone to hang out with on President's Day. 

I don't always know how to fill the time with Anders, he's a quiet boy. I thought it might be time that he could learn cribbage. Dad Kris found us a cribbage board and I set about teaching Anders the game.   Anders is a very quick learner.  He listens well and remembers.  After a short explanation of the rules, I dealt the first hand.  We played that hand face up on the table to get the idea of discarding to the crib.  He seemed to be catching on. 

We played the first half of the game and then took a break for supper.  I wasn't sure if he would want to finish the game,  but as soon as supper was cleaned up,  he was ready. 

I pretty much played like I would have against a seasoned player,  and he held his own.  Learning the nuances about discarding and about taking a chance on a good cut. 

Anders is quite competitive,  and loves to win. Really,  he does NOT like to lose,  so he was motivated to learn.  

After a good night of sleep, first thing Monday morning, Anders was ready for game 2. Again,  it was close, with me sneaking in a win by only a few holes.  He was right away ready for game 3. We were neck-in-neck again. I was trying to help him a little but kept getting good cards.  So,  game 3 was another loss for the new kid.  

We took a break for a visit to the National Eagle Center,  but when we got home,  Anders wanted to play again.  This time,  Anders beat me fair and square. 

He caught on quickly and seems to enjoy the game.  It was fun to teach him a new game that he will be able to play all his life. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails