Tuesday, May 29, 2018

I thought it was dead

Last year I picked up a Hibiscus plant at the end of the season.
It bloomed, I loved it.
But this year, it did not show any signs of life when everything else in the yard was at least breaking the surface of the soil.
So, I decided to dig it up, and replace it with something more hardy that will also bloom.
But, once I started shoveling, I could see sprouts coming off the root ball, 
so quickly I covered it all back up.

I'm so glad, it looks like this plant is coming back strong.
I'm hopeful for big, beautiful flowers near the end of summer.

***

This is year 5, I think, for my hop vine near the front porch.
It came from humble beginnings.
But this year, the vines are strong and full and beautiful.


Ornamental, no I'm not making beer, 31 years of that was enough for me.
But I do love the vines, so I added a new one to the yard today.

This is a very old ladder that I bought for $1 from my friend Ruby Stoklasa when she had her moving/garage sale last summer.
It will make a fine hops trellis once this plant gets a year or two under its belt.
I think it will do fine in this spot, it gets all the morning sun.
I'll give it some TLC this summer and then hope for the best.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails