Friday, September 9, 2011

A Trip to Crex Meadows

In preparation for the photography club meeting coming up on Saturday, on Thursday I made plans for a trip over to Crex Meadows to take some photos to submit for the club meeting.  Kathy is a Crex expert and her schedule was open so we spent the day enjoying Crex's beauty.  The day was perfect really, 80 degrees but no humidity, minimal bugs and lots to see.  My travels at Crex Meadows had been minimal, so nearly all the roads we traveled were new to me.  As I am sitting here this morning, I am sad I didn't have a bag along to pick some of the wild plums to have for breakfast.  I ate quite a few while we were walking around the sand dune area, and they were tasty.  I'll be going back there next year for the harvest for sure.
Kathy is an avid butterfly watcher, so I was learning all day as we saw several different species.
Butterflies love poop (who knew), so as we drove down the road, we were on the lookout for any animal scat.

It is interesting to see other photographers out on the roads at Crex Meadows.
There are quite a few who visit there often and they all know each other.
I was delighted to get to meet a woman who lives and has a photography business near Gordon where we have our cabin.
More and more I am building some connections here.

After lunch, Kathy invited me to stop at their house on Spirit Lake for a pontoon boat ride to see the loons.
We saw the adult and then drifted around the area, we could hear the chick calling, but it was far away.
So, we took a tour of the lake, Kathy showed me a couple of eagle's nests on the lakeshore, and then we headed back near the adult loon.
We got lucky this time as we drifted in the area, the chick was busy diving and came quite close to the pontoon.  Soon, they will migrate South so it was a treat to see it so close.

 Here are the photos I submit for the photography club at Crex Meadows on Saturday.
I'm still very early in the learning process on how to photoshop my pictures but will continue to work on learning Elements 9, that might be a winter project.








No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails