Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lean and Mean

I went to a class in Spooner, given by the Extension Agent, about pruning fruit trees.  It was held at at the Spooner Agricultural Research Station where they have grapes, apples, raspberries and other plants growing.  The instructors pruned the trees while they explained the process.  I walked away with some basic understanding of pruning and the dangerous impression that I could not make a mistake while pruning.

I have 2 mature apple trees in my yard that have never had much pruning and while the apples are nice and big, they are full of worms.  The trees are too high to spray or prune, they need lots of work.

The instructor recommended keeping the tree no taller than 6 foot so that you can easily prune, spray and pick the apples.
Backyard apple tree....before

Backyard apple tree...after

Side yard tree...before

The side yard tree...after

I might not get many apples, but as long as the trees live, I'm happy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails