Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Sharp Shinned Moment

 I was just settling in to play zoom bridge with friends on Sunday when I saw big wings flap across the yard and about 50 little finch flee the scene.  I knew it was going to be a hawk, but I didn't know it was going to land on the platform feeder just outside the living room window.

Whatta sight.  Beautiful bird, so intense, so lethal.  

I had time to snap a series of photos before it flew off looking for a snack somewhere else.




My first thought was that this a Sharp Shinned Hawk, but then I talked myself into it being a Cooper's Hawk.  I posted photos on Facebook and asked for ID help and got a variety of responses until I was advised to post it in a group called Raptor ID.  
Those  Raptor ID folks know their hawks and positively identified this as an immature Sharp Shinned Hawk.




I was excited to have enough time to snap off a series of photographs.  My bridge friends had to be patient, I wasn't going to stop shooting until the hawk flew off.

One of the Raptor ID folks mentioned the toothpick like legs as another confirmation that this is a Sharp Shinned Hawk.
It's not like I want hawks looking for lunch at my bird feeders, but it was a thrill to see this one so close up and I'm grateful for the moment.

All of the birds flew off when this hawk flew in, except 2 woodpeckers who froze and were like little statues hanging on their suet log. They remained motionless for several minutes after the hawk left.
Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails