Monday, September 16, 2019

Owls and Cats

On Thursday, high school friend Mary drove down from Mason to spend the night.  We were headed to Bird & Beer presented by Hunt Hill Audubon, the topic of the presentation was to be Owls.
We had a quick lunch at the Cameron Cafe and then stopped at friend Carolyn's to give her a little help with making a bed, running the vacuum and feeding the dog.  Carolyn is wearing a back brace due to an injury and a little help was needed.  Mary and I made short work of her list and then headed to Amery Ale Works for the evening.
The Amery Ale Works is an old farm turned brewery / pizza joint.  It's a beautiful spot West of Amery, near Lake Wapogasset.  It was a rainy day, otherwise there is outside seating/firepit overlooking a meadow.  The interior decor is rustic and classy.  The pizzas I saw looked delicious.

We were early so enjoyed a beer in the bar before heading upstairs for the presentation.

The speaker was Chris Cold of the WDNR, he was a gem.  A good speaker, well prepared with a passion for animals and earth.  It was a pleasure to listen to him.
He even brought 2 owls for us to see.  A Barred Owl and a Great Horned Owl.
Our seats were a little obstructed, but you get the idea.

After the presentation, we headed back to Amery to a restaurant called Farm to Table.
The concept is sustainability and local, will all ingredients obtained within about 50 miles.
The decor was smashing, I really liked it.
The food was good too, they were out of Chardonnay, but the Cabernet I had was good.

 Mary and I had a good visit.

I had a fried green tomato sandwich, it was delicious and the fries were very tasty too.

Friday morning, Mary headed back to Mason after a quick breakfast at The Rice Lake Family Restaurant.  We will gather again at Quilt Camp in October.

***
Friday afternoon, sitting in the living room, I watched Hops climb up on the entertainment center.  She has never had good balance, and before I could get there, she took a tumble off and hit the floor hard.  Hops has never had that ability to land on her feet like most cats.  I noticed when she landed she did something odd with her mouth.  I scooped her up and started checking for injury.
She seemed okay until I opened her mouth, then I saw the snaggle tooth.  She chipped a piece off her canine tooth.  And sure enough, there it was laying on the floor.
I immediately picked up the phone to call the Vet thinking that this was going to be very painful for Hops.  They could not get me in until Wednesday without going the Emergency route.  I opted to wait in hopes that the kitty would not be too miserable.
Over the weekend I've watched her and so far, she doesn't seem to even notice that the tooth is damaged.  Since Hops has never been to the Vet since she had her Spay about 11 years ago, I'm not anxious to put her through the trauma of a Vet visit.  We'll see what today brings, I'll probably be cancelling that appointment.
Hops thinks she has to get up on the entertainment center to toss the pine cones out of a ceramic canoe that I have for decoration.
By Sunday, she was back on the job messing with the pine cones, snaggle tooth and all.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails