Monday, November 20, 2017

Tradition

The tradition is strong in Northern Wisconsin.
Deer hunting is considered the event of the year for many.
The summertime cabin becomes a Hunting Shack in November and is nearly hallowed ground.
The time spent at The Shack is a cherished memory.
It isn't so much the hunting, but the time in the woods, the fun at the poker table, the roughing it, and the tales.  And, for the lucky hunter, the bagging of a white=tail.

On Sunday afternoon, I took a drive over to The Lucky 7 Lodge, Kyle's hunting shack.
It's okay to visit even if you are not a hunter, the social deal is also part of life at the shack.
No one was there when I first arrived, so I had a chance to look around at the many memories.

Gus took his hunting very serious, whether it be deer, or bear.

Dad was well remembered with the Seabee Flag in full view.

Leaving the lodge, I noticed a nice sign.

I made a little banner for the lodge.

My Mom's Dad was a deer hunter too and Gus made sure to register a particularly large Whitetail,
 long after Palmer was gone.

I'm always a little nervous during hunting season, but this family takes safety seriously.

A memorial jug is on display.


The Lucky 7 Lodge

A mantel of memories.

Another one of Gus's masterpieces to commemorate one of Dad's bucks.
The hunters met me on the road as I was leaving, so I came back for a refreshment and some football and nice visit with Jack and Gage.  It isn't often I get to talk to those boys without adults hovering, it was fun to hear what they are thinking about the upcoming basketball season and football and other stuff.  They are nice boys, I'm proud to be their Great Aunt.

I'm proud of my nephews, they all seem to be carrying on the hunting tradition.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails