Friday, October 17, 2014

Alone

What is it to be being alone?  Good?  Bad?
I've never thought about it much as I have lived alone most of my adult life.
With the exception of roommates when I was in my 20s, and a live in boyfriend later on, 
I've been solo.
I've not every thought it to be either good or bad, but not everyone sees it this way.
For example:
A couple of years ago, as I was introduced to a couple who are friends of a friend, 
the man remarked that is was 'too bad' that I was single.  I was stunned at his comment.

Recently, a male friend made a comment that he just could not imagine not having his wife with him to see a beautiful sunset, and that it just would not be the as pretty.
Again, I was a little surprised at his words.

Recently I read that single Americans make up more than half of the adult population for the first time since the government began compiling such statistics in 1976.  (Being single and living alone, are not necessarily the same, I suspect many of these singles have children in their home.)

For me, being alone is fine, lovely in fact, and I am rarely anything but delighted about my life.
But, I can see that it is all what you are used to.
If you've always had a spouse and have shared nearly every experience, being alone would suck.
Yet, most couple end up in that situation eventually.

But don't feel sorry for those of us who are single and living alone, most of us are doing just fine.
We don't share the remote, the toilet paper roll is never empty, we know when there is only an ounce of milk left in the carton, and if we drink the last beer, we know that too.

My sunsets are beautiful, sure, sometimes I share them here.
But even when I see them, standing alone on a sand road, I still think I am seeing something breathtaking and stunning.
Crex Meadows 2013

Life is Good.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails