Saturday, September 11, 2010

Johansen Cabinetry

With the impending sale of Gus's cabin in the Barrens, Dad was faced with needing to move all of his tools to a new location.  I organized my garage, and we moved everything here.  Spending a little time with Dad looking at the tools last night was fun although bittersweet.  His table saw that was purchased in about 1945 by his Dad and has been used by Dad every since is an amazing artifact of Dad's life.  I was thinking about how many kitchen cabinets that were made using that saw, quite a history there.  The stand for the drill press that my grandfather, Ansgar, made from parts of a windmill that was being torn down is a real antique.  If these tools could talk, what stories they would tell.

As I open tool boxes and look inside, I am amazed at hand planers, hand drills and even a planer made from wood that have lasted all these years and are still functional even though they are not battery powered and full of features for making jobs easier.
Next summer, Dad and Ev will stay here and we will fire up Johansen Cabinetry in my garage, maybe even build something using only these hand-tools, just to honor the past.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails