Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Yard work

 In about 2009, I built a 3 step raised bed planter in the lower yard.  It never really worked as well as I had hoped, and it was just too far from the water hose for it to be practical for growing vegetables.  This year,  I noticed that the wood was getting quite rotten.  The past few summers it has been an eyesore,  growing more weeds than anything else.  I tried to get morning glories growing and they had a pretty good summer this year, but the weeds were winning. 

This location gets full sun,  a rare thing in my yard.  I decided to take down the wood and my plan is to plant Peony bushes in this spot.  

Today was part 1.

This was the pile of lumber after I got every screw removed.

This is what is left of the raised bed.  Now there is work to do pulling out old roots.

The lumber pile after deconstruction.  Lots of screws to remove.

Tomorrow I'll start the shovel work to work the soil in preparation of the 4 Peony roots I bought from my friends at Fina Gardens.  The roots were delivered about 2 weeks ago. 
Time to get them in the ground.

It was a perfect day to do this job.  Sunny, but not hot. I had my lawn chair and took my time and pumped up my vitamin D!

After my shower,  Barley & I enjoyed some time in the deck.


I dumped a few flower pots today,  everything was looking pretty dead,  but over in the shade I saw these pretty petunias, still hanging on. 


A Summer Shandy tasted great, it was a good day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails