Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Water, again

 What is it with me and water in this house?

Today was my scheduled day for a filter change by the Culligan Man.  My incoming cold water goes through a micro filter, which collects some of the larger minerals.  Culligan changes this filter every 6 weeks.  It requires valving off the incoming water supply, draining the filter housing,  switch the filter out and replace the inline filter housing.  It only takes a few minutes but offers opportunity for spillage. 

Normally this goes okay. 

When I had my water heater replaced recently,  my plumber went to some effort to clean up the plumbing in the utility closet and to make the valving easier for the Culligan Man.

This morning,  I didn't hear the tech knock on the door, so he left his 'sorry I missed you' note. 

I called the office to reschedule.  

It was my fault.  The Culligan Woman told me that she would see if he could catch me this afternoon.  I said I would leave the door unlocked. 

I left for about 40 minutes for my haircut. 

 When I walked back in the house, my water detection device was putting out a high pitched siren.  I opened the utility closet door & saw water dripping everywhere and the floor of the closet was soaked.  There were swear words said.



It did not take me long to diagnose a bad seal on the filter housing.  I turned off the well pump, valved off the filter and drained the lines by opening a faucet.  Then I started wiping and blotting up water.  

I took time to call the Culligan Woman and tell her that someone needed to come back over here and fix the problem.  By this time it was nearly 4:30pm.  She was very responsive and called me back to tell me a tech was on his way. 

Collin, the fixer, was very quick and concerned.  He immediately found a faulty 'o' ring and got to fixing it.  He mopped up as much water as he could and offered a dehumidifier.   I said I would run a fan,  I thought that was adequate.  

We parted friends and he assured me that he would have a talk with my Culligan Man.  

I'm not sure what would have happened if I would have been gone for the evening, I was planning on going to Luck for Music in the Park.  Or if I did not have that leak detection device in the closet.

So,  once again I got lucky.  

Silly me, recently I had been thinking how nice it has been to NOT  have any plumbing problems for a few months. 

Thank you, Culligan Man, for the reality chevk.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails