Saturday, July 6, 2019

Animals do silly things

Hops can barely get up on the entertainment center by way of jumping up on a recliner seat, up on the arm, a long stretch and dangerous hop to the top of the case, then she makes her way directly to the pottery canoe and prompty empties all of the pine cones out on to the floor.
Barley never participates, today she watched for a bit then left the scene.


About 12:30am last night I could hear one of that cats meowing in a strange way. I got up to find Barley standing in living room with a mouse in her mouth.  I couldn't really tell if it was dead or not, but thought it was dead. I chased her around trying to get her to drop it. I didn't want her to eat it. I finally threw an empty box at her, and she dropped the mouse. I scooped up the corpse with the box and tossed both outside.  Good grief.  Of course it took several hours before I settled down after that adrenaline rush!  I have no idea where she found that mouse or how it got in. 
She's exhausted today, great hunter that she is. 
I'm hoping we do not have a repeat tonight.
***
Checking the trail cam, found a nice shot of a deer, like she was posing for the camera.

The fawn is getting big, I'm glad to see these 2 are still alive, the road takes so many.



I have not seen them in the flesh for a long time, but looks like they are doing well.

***
There are a few hummers about.

 This one comes everyday and sits on the zip-tie and preens.
Fun to see them sitting still for a change.
***
 Logs from when I had a big tree removed are still waiting for a home.
In the meantime, wildflowers have started to grow around the pile.
Interesting yard art.
 I planted several hanging pots with seeds that I had laying around.
This one is a Hyacinth Bean Vine.
Looks like it will be climbing soon.

I keep failing at Roses.
This year, some worms ate the leaves right down to the veins.
Looks like a bud is forming, I better find something to spray on this poor rose to save it.
 My friend Carolyne gave me these yellow beauties a few years ago.
She advised me to plant them somewhere I could easily see them from the house.
I can see them from the kitching/dining room.
Sun drops, I often mistakenly call them lemon drops, they are stunning.

Now that the peonies are done, here come the lilies.
Ditch lilies are everywhere and they open first.
My Daylilies are loaded with buds, soon they will be something to see.

These Stella Lilies came from Gary & Mary Erickson.
Many buds this year, I think I can split them next spring.

A greenhouse owner made me take 2 tomato plants home, I didn't want them and didn't have any big pots to plant them in, but she was not taking no for an answer.
So, I picked up a couple of pots at the Dollar Store and here they are.

The pot is probably too small, I suppose I'll have to transplant the tomatoes I didn't want to grow.


The variety of tomato is Ultima.  The greenhouse owner told me that these are the best and that I'll come back next year begging for more plants of this variety.
That remains to be seen.

Another pot, this one with Morning Glories.
If this goes well, I'll continue to do this each year.
A packet of seeds versus a hanging planter of flowers, I can save a bundle & enjoy it even more.

I am always glad to have the 4th of July come and go.
I don't enjoy the fireworks and I live with neighbors who are not very respectful of normal bedtimes nor the fact that many folks & pets and wild animals do not love the loud noises.
I'm sure tonight will be grim, but maybe starting tomorrow, the fireworks will fall out of favor.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails