Friday, July 19, 2019

Estela

One of my best friends from Coors, Al, just lost his Mom, her name was Estela.  I don't think I ever met Estela, but I heard many stories from Al about his Mom.  She was well known at the brewery for being a tamale maker extraordinaire.  
When she visited from Chicago, we all queued up to be in on the tamales.
So, while I didn't know Estela, I knew she had started in nursing at a young age and continued her nursing education into her later years. I knew that she cared for Al's Dad as he struggled with declining health and Parkinson's Disease, and then was diagnosed with her own cancer in the mix.

After Al's father died, he sent a note out to some of his friends saying that Estela would enjoy getting mail as she managed her way through the loss of the love of her life.  So, I started sending a card once in a while to Estela. I always used one of my photographic cards and would write a little about the photo and some other bits of news.  I heard from Al how much she enjoyed my cards and my photography.  It was an easy thing to do.  I felt like I knew Estela just from sending those cards.
But, as with things like this, it got put aside and recently I had a momentary thought that I should get another card sent, then I heard the news from Al, that Estela had passed.

Estela was a very devoted Catholic, & I knew that this funeral mass was very important to her family.  I decided it was drive-able distance, and that I would go.  

So, Wednesday morning I left for Aurora, IL, some 340 miles away.  
I had a pleasant drive, found my motel with ease and settled in for the night.
Thursday morning I awoke to a hard rain, that just wouldn't let up.  
I arrived at the church and thought it was a little humorous to see so many umbrellas, 40 or more, parked just inside the front door.

It was wonderful to see my friend Al and his wife & daughters as well as one of Al's brothers who I knew.  I also met some of Al's college friends who had traveled to Illinois to be with Al.

Growing up with little exposure to the Catholic faith and the ritual, I'm always fascinated when attending a funeral mass.  I always leave still confused about what it all means, but understanding full well the magnitude of importance to those who's faith is strong.
I was glad that I went to honor Estela.

The drive was long, but Wisconsin is so beautiful this time of year, 
I got my eyes full of Mother Nature's beauty.  
In a way, Estela and I had something in common that we worship, 
I call it Mother Nature, 
she called it God, 
but both of us appreciated this place, this Earth and this life.
Rest in Peace Estela.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails