Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Aunt Ila

On Saturday, I rode with Glenn & Kathy into Minneapolis to attend a birthday celebration for Aunt Ila.  As a little girl, I mostly heard my uncle and aunt referred to as Brother & Ila.  Elwood was Mom's only brother, so I guess that's why the nickname.  

Uncle Woody and Aunt Ila lived in the Twin Cities area, we saw them annually, but probably not much more since we were living in Northern Wisconsin. 

Uncle Woody passed away in about 2010, and that was the last time I saw any of the folks from that family.  So, when I got the invitation to Aunt Ila's 90th birthday party, I knew I would go.  It was nice to ride with Glenn and Kathy, I rarely get to be a rider and I enjoyed not having to negotiate the traffic.  Plus, I have not spent much time in the Twin Cities, other than airport & VA hospital, so I'm not very familiar with the layout.

The party room was full when we arrived.  
Aunt Ila lives in a high rise Senior housing building, but the number of rolling walkers parked here and there, I suspect that many of the party goers live right there.  
There were also a few out of towners.  My 1st cousins-once-removed from Shell Lake & Duluth were there.  I also ended up meeting a table of folks who had come to the party from Rice Lake.  Laurie was introduced to me and when I asked her how she was related, she said that Ila was her Aunt.  This caused a few moments of wonder as Ila is also my aunt.  I never knew Ila's sisters, so never knew of this woman who was a daughter of one of those sisters.  
Now, we live only a few miles apart in Rice Lake, crazy small world.

Anyway, a few photos of Aunt Ila from Saturday.



It was nice to see Aunt Ila's 3 daughters, my first cousins Terry, Wendy & Jill.
I had a chance to visit with each of them a little to catch up on their families.
I was kind of overwhelmed by how happy my Aunt Ila seemed to be that I had come.
She said several times how happy she was, 
I think I'll have to get back down there for a visit soon.

It was a really nice day spent with Glenn & Kathy and the birthday party.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails