This week has been a rough one. I have received news of 3 friends who have passed. I'm going to write a little about each.
First was Steve Saunders, who was a Coors friend and coworker. I got to know Steve through my work on the Coors United Way Campaign. We produced several events together. To my delight, he was in a position to treat me to an abundance of opportunities as he was in Coors Sports Marketing. I saw several Bronco games from the luxury sky box, I attended Rockies games in the box suites, I spent several days in the skybox seats at the International Gold Tournament at Castle Pines and there were others. He really wanted to treat me to a trip to Talladega for the big NASCAR car race there right before I retired. He could not believe it when I declined his very generous offer, but it really is not my thing. At my retirement party from Coors, Steve gifted me an autographed jersey from the then Rockie's catcher, Yorvit Torrealba. Steve was 2 years older than I am, lived his whole life in Golden, Colorado and was a father and grandfather. I am glad to have known him. I'll continue to cheer for the Broncos and Nuggets knowing the Steve would do the same.
Another Coors pal, Vickie Dawkins, also passed this week. She was younger than I am, I think about 4 years. Vickie was diagnosed with Lupus some 29 years ago and underwent countless treatments and years of pain. Vickie was one of those people who lit up a room with her vivacious personality and very blonde hair. I first became friends with Vickie's sister Rhonda when I started at Coors and soon after, Vickie got a job there too. They were South Dakota girls with a love of animals and water skiing. We had fun together and for a short time lived in the same apartment building in Arvada. I remember meeting their parents, Joy and Obe who were a couple of gems. While I never worked directly with Vickie, our paths crossed often around the brewery and we always asked about each other's kitties. Her final message to her Coors friends included a photo of her riding her horse into the sunset, I nice way to remember my friend.
Just last night I learned of the passing of a Wisconsin photographer friend, Anna Martineau Merritt. I first met Anna traveling the gravel roads of Crex Meadows State Wildlife Area with another photographer friend. Anna was also in the Crex Meadows Photography Club when I participated. She was living near Gordon in those days. She was kind enough to do a photo shoot with Dad & Ev in her studio near Gordon. It was a very fun day with her and she took some priceless photos of the folks. She wouldn't take much money and gave me a CD with all the photos and let me do the editing. She was so kind to Dad & Ev and I never forgot that. Anna was now living further north and was very active in her native tribe. Her posts on social medial included beautiful works of art that she crafted in accordance with her native heritage. Her photographs were always worth admiring and she was generous to share often. Her messages were always upbeat and ended with a positive statement, even her very last "Everyone be kind and smile because the world needs it!" Truer words were probably never spoken.
Rest in peace my friends, I was lucky to have known you.
No comments:
Post a Comment