Monday, October 2, 2023

Virtual Quilt Retreat

Last weekend I attended a virtual quilt retreat.  

I think there are probably many stories like this, but The Fabric Patch in Ironwood, Michigan is a case study in survival.

 The Fabric Patch is a now thriving quilting supply store, doing business out of a brick, historic building, in a town of just over 5,000 folks, located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Flashback to Spring of 2019, when our lives changed and store fronts went dark.  The team at Fabric Patch started learning Zoom and began doing weekly live sales on Facebook.  I'm not an informed historian of the life cycle of their business decisions,  but over time they added virtual classes in quilting techniques and virtual-quilt-retreats. 

The business not only survived the covid shutdown, but they have created a business model that will survive.  Now, even on a cold,  snowy day in the UP, they can be open for business and without anyone having to brave the elements. 

The staff are all Zoom & social media savvy. It is impressive. Several conducted retreat sessions from their sewing room, at home. And, their loyal following of customers have learned to participate from their tablets, computers & phones, (some with very sketchy internet connections). 

I've never been to this store. But my friend Mary has always spoken highly about the owner and the store.  Mary takes her quilt tops there, for long arm finishing. 

Somewhere along the covid journey,  I visited their website and signed up for their emails. 

I've been interested in their virtual quilt retreats as a way to get into the sewing room more.   Back in May,  I was in the right mood, and when the email came announcing a fall retreat,  I signed up.

In mid-September a box arrived with Fabric, a pattern book,  a pattern template and other goodies. 

On Friday, the retreat opened at 10am with a welcome followed by a Zoom class on Dresden Plates. On Saturday a class was given on Mini Dresden Plates classes. Sunday was a class on the hows and whys of preparing your quilt top for long arm quilting  

The retreat was very flexible and quilters could join break out rooms with friends or stay in the main room or log out. On Friday & Saturday nights there was game time with prizes. 

About 90 quilters participated.  I think she said about 15 states were represented. 

I leaned a technique that I had no previous interest in trying,  but I really enjoyed making.

According to Google, the Dresden plate quilt block made it debut in the 1920s. Often, this block was made out of feed sacks, so the traditional floral prints of the time made it a nice quilt motif.

I made 4 plates with the Christmas Fabric included in my retreat box of supplies. 





Now, the plates have to be appliquéd onto a backing.  I'm planning on making a runner. I think I'll look for some dark green fabric as the background.


It was a fun weekend of sewing and learning.  I'm sure I'll sign up for their February session. The other quilters were friendly and helpful. 

A silver lining of covid. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails