Wednesday, August 8, 2018

More Danish Hearts

I know I previously posted a little table topper and a runner that I made with Danish Heart baskets as the motif.  
I've been working off a pattern that was intended to be a shamrock, so it wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it was going in the right direction.  
I've been thinking about how to make it better.
As a relative newbie to quilting, reworking a pattern was a little daunting.
This week, I did some redesigning and came up with a pattern that really looks like the woven Danish heart baskets that I so love.
My high school geometry teacher would have been proud to see me calculating the measurements of my project using the Pythagorean theory.   Seriously, it worked!
The basic pattern needed a redesign.

Adding the basket handle changes the look.

This is starting to look like my vision.


A Danish Heart basket pattern has been created.

Batting and backing and topstitching.

Binding the edge
 The final product.
I'm quite pleased with how much this motif looks like the Danish Heart baskets that are used as Christmas Tree ornaments.  I make many of the little paper baskets each year as I include them in birthday cards and other greetings to friends.
It fits on the table as planned, my measurement calculations were on target.
A2 + B2 = C2

A couple of my paper Danish Heart baskets.

Now I just have to document how I made the heart basket block so I can recreate it later.
Maybe it seems like I'm obsessing over this motif, but I have been trying to find a pattern or figure out this pattern for a number of years, so this is a nice accomplishment.

Now, on to something new.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails