Thursday, August 23, 2018

Cousins in Wisconsin

In about 1995, my brother Glenn suggested that the Johansen first cousins start having a reunion periodically.  We started with 3 to 5 year gaps and gradually started gathering up every year.
This year, I hosted in Rice Lake.
I used this reunion as good motivation to clean out the garage, power wash and stain front deck and porch, power wash back porch, paint trim around garage doors, move out the couch and move in 2 new recliners for the living room.  I also added quite a few annuals to the yard and many new perennials.  I was very busy all summer but accomplished many projects.
The cousins arrived at about 9:30am on Saturday morning on August 18th and the last ones left at 9:30pm that night.  

It was a day filled with memories and visiting and catching up on each other's lives.
I had decorated with a few Danish accents.


I had compiled a collage of photos of Ansgar and Frederikke Johansen, our grandparents.


Aunt Johanne 'held court' at the dining room table most of the day with her nieces and nephews jockeying for the their spot at the table for a bit of her time.
Each sharing a story or asking her a question.

Becky (out of the frame) Johansen, Aleta Johansen, Aunt Johanne Johansen Hansen, Kathy Johansen, Nancy O'Keefe

I had written up some random memories that Dad had shared with me,
the back deck became the reading room.

Denis Johansen, Pat O'Keefe, Lee Johansen


I was trying hard to make my remote shutter controller work so that we could all be in the photo,
it's not fun to wait on the photographer,

In the end, Pat graciously offered to take the group photo for us.

It was an excellent day and now I can enjoy my house and garage in top notch condition.

Next year, Des Moines.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails