Monday, November 4, 2019

Old stuff

Way back, my Mom gave me a cedar chest filled with items belonging to her great aunt Ida "Bubble" Carlson.  Mom was adopted by Richard & Ida Carlson when she was a toddler.  Times were difficult at the Bjornton house and all 3 children were sent to live with relatives for a while.  Mom was the only one who was adopted by her new guardians.  Richard and Ida lived in Glenwood, MN, had no children, but had a little money.  

Several pieces of furniture are in the family that had belonged to the Carlsons.  A secretary desk that I have, a serpentine front dresser and mirror that Glenn & Kathy have, a cedar chest that I have.  

Inside the cedar chest, there were several items.  Some pieces of china, some pieces of silverware, a quilt top, tablecloth & matching napkins, and several other items.  For years, I stored the china in zippered, padded bags meant for china.  

When I moved to Wisconsin, my kitchen had a nice built in hutch, so then the plates and 1 cup, came out of the bags to sit in the hutch.

When Dad and Ev spent time here at my house, I used my stoneware dishes.  Ev was never a fan of those dishes, she thought they were too big, too heavy.  She spied the old china in the cupboard and suggested we use it.  After all, what am I saving it for.  I decided she was right and put it in the cupboard to use as my daily dishes, that meant dishwasher too.  I figured if they break, they break.  Only about 5 dinner plates had survived the years, and 3 bread & butter plates, and only 1 cup & saucer.  The cup and saucer remains in the cupboard, the rest of the plates are in daily use.

I noticed when I first got these plates, that there was a defect in one plate.  A slice in the china before glazing.  But until recently, it held together.  I likely bumped it on something and now I have the first broken plate after using them for about 10 years.



I like this Bavaria Bone China, it reminds me of family everytime I touch it.
I hope this is the last plate I break.
I'm thinking this broken plate can probably be used for something, I'll stash it in the garage in case I come up with some creative re-purpose.

So, the morale to this story is, old stuff is cool, but even cooler if it can be used.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails