Tuesday, November 12, 2019

-1 Degree; Omaha's is open

-1° this morning, but the sun is out, so as long as I stay inside, it's a pretty nice day out there!
I decided it was time to open the shelter for stray cats that I keep on my front porch.  It is named Omaha's Shelter after a stray orange stripe that frequented the shelter for a couple of winters.  He's long gone now, hopefully to a forever indoor home, but there are still cats that roam the 'hood from time to time.  I catch them on the Wyze Cam on the front porch or on the Trail Cam in the backyard.  

It's easy to make a shelter like mine.  An old plastic tote, a styrofoam cooler inside it and a hole cut through both.  My styro cooler is recycled from a friend who got it when ordering Omaha Steaks, hence the name.  The blanket is supposed to be a 'self warming' blanket.  I also have a heated water dish and will get that plugged in today as well.

I keep it stocked with Cat Chow.  Maybe a squirrel or two might sneak in for a snack, but mostly I only see cats using the warming hut.

 If I was to make another, I would cut the hole a little smaller.  
It does keep the larger raccoons out, but barely.  I'm smarter now though, and close it up as soon as I see any raccoon activity in the spring.

I just need a little WELCOME mat now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails