Thursday, August 22, 2019

I'm a happy girl


On Tuesday I drove to Almena (~30 miles) to buy tomatoes from a roadside produce stand run by a couple who have been selling veggies out of their driveway for several years. When I got to their house, there were no veggies in the stand and it didn't look like there had been anything happening there all season, since asparagus ended. 

I knocked on the door but no one answered. 
They had a note posted with their home telephone number so I took that down and when I got home I called them. I asked if their gardens had been wiped out in the bad storms a few weeks ago and she said yes, they didn't have enough tomatoes to sell, only enough for their own canning. I was way sad because their tomatoes are the best I've ever had and they sell them so reasonably, a whole burger basket tray for three bucks. But, those July storms were wicked, and I had noticed that they had many very large trees down on their property so I wasn't totally shocked. 

I don't know these people personally but I had chatted with the man when I stopped to get asparagus this spring and he was very friendly.

Tonight I was very surprised to see a phone call coming in from their number. It was the wife calling me to ask me if I would like to come and buy some tomatoes. She said they had harvested a couple of bushels of tomatoes tonight and if I still wanted some, that they would sell me some.

 I was so surprised and really sad because I'm going to be gone the next 2 days but when I told her that and said I would be happy to come Sunday if that would be alright she said they would be there, and that would be fine. 

I'm pretty excited to get some of their tomatoes and I'm feeling really special that they called me to ask me if I wanted to have some.

 I don't know if it's Wisconsin people or small town people or the fact that I took time to call them but whatever made it happen,
 I'm going to be happy eating those tasty tomatoes.

⚾️⚾️⚾️
I know I posted some baseball photos of Gage, 
but I really like this black&white & red edited snapshot.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails