Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Day-Cation

Last Thursday I was in Luck to visit the cemetery and do some other errands.  On my way out of town, I stopped by nephew Kyle's house.  I arrived right at dinner time and Kyle had made a feast of pork ribs, corn on the cob, Brussels sprouts & even had potato salad.  I was invited to join and stayed for a couple of cold beverages.  It was a nice summer visit and a delicious meal.

In our conversation, Kyle mentioned that he was taking the family to Blue Fin Bay for a night on Friday.  I told him how much I love that place, truly a magical place to stay on the edge of Lake Superior.  He and Heather said I should come along since Jack was going to stay home to heal his mouth after removal of wisdom teeth, so there was an empty bed.

I kind of felt like I should not tag along in their family day, but after sleeping on it, decided I would meet them in Tofte and stay the night with them.  So, the day-cation was planned.

I drove up in the afternoon on Friday and arrived at Blue Fin Bay at about 4pm.
While Kyle was checking in, Ruby and Jens and I were treated to a viewing of a Great Horned Owl on the deck.  An injured bird now used for education and he was magnificent.
I'm not sure the kids were as impressed as I was.



Our condo was very nice.
Full kitchen, living room with big fireplace, one bedroom & bath on the main-floor, master suite upstairs & a loft.  Plenty of room for all and I had my own bed with attached bath.

The door goes to the lanai, that is where I spent most of my time.

The kids were eager to explore the shoreline and climb on the rocks.
Jude got fitted up with a new life jacket.

Then Gage, Stella, Jude & Jens headed off for the beach.
It was nice that we could see the beach from the Lanai where I sat and visited with Heather.
Kyle took Ruby off to find a new swim suit.

I snapped this photo from the lanai as Gage & Jude were posing for photographer Stella with Jens looking on.

Gage was doing a live Instragram while Jude and Stella got their feet wet.  Jens in the black trunks.

Clever Stella used the telescope viewer to capture Kyle and Heather on the lanai.
I'm there with Ruby in front of me, I was putting a couple of stitches in her new swim suit to keep the neckline consistent with 10 year old values.

After a walk on the boardwalk, Jude got a free ride while Gage showed him something on his phone.
Right outside our condo, on the lanai, a flock of seagulls were eager for attention.
Ruby tried to see if they would grab a chip out of her hand, but they were not that tame.
She did have fun tossing crumbles in the grass and watching the frey.


That evening we had fine dining at The Blue Fin Bay Grille.
It's a nice restaurant, walking distance from the condo and nice vibe.
We sat upstairs with a great view of the lake, table for 8.
Our waiter was great and made it a nice evening for the kids and the adults.
Once the kids were finished, Gage walked them all back to the condo, and the adults had a nightcap.

My tab.

You know you had fun when your Manhattans were more than your fancy fish entree.
Saturday morning the lake was fogged in.
There was a thunderstorm moving across the area, but the lake was strangely still.

I sat on the lanai in complete quiet until the rest of the family woke up.



Then a rain storm swept through.




Jude and I sat inside where it was dry and watched the storm and he was quick to point out whenever the sun would peek through the clouds.

Once the storm was passed, the sun came out and it was a perfect day, hot and humid, but that is summer.  Ruby's friend Jarod hung around and she gave him a few more Pringle snacks.


The bees were very busy in a bush just off the lanai.
It's fun to watch them do the pollination work.

We packed up and headed for breakfast.
It was about an hour before we found a place to eat, but it was worth it.
We had a little wait, Jude was getting some hugs from Dad.
It's fun for me to watch the kids with their parents, especially at this sweet young age.



Once we had breakfast, I said my goodbyes and headed home.
I had thought I might do some sight seeing along the way, but August Up North, is very busy.
So, I decided I could wait and go back in September or October when tourism settles down.

It was a fun day-cation.
I had lots of good visiting with Heather and Kyle & the kids.
I am thankful that Jack didn't want to go
😊😊😊







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails