Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Always something

 Sunday night I had some popcorn as a snack and then I was using a floss pick to clean out the hulls.  I felt something give,  thinking the floss pick broke,  I was surprised to find my front tooth in my hand.

This tooth has had a lot of work starting with an abcess when I was in college in Eau Claire. The dentist I used then damaged the tooth and left me with a less than lovely smile.  Eventually,  I think after I went to work at Coors, I had the tooth capped. I'm guessing that was in 1980.  The cap never matched my good front tooth.  After I moved to Rice Lake I had my other front tooth capped.  Finally, a matched set. 

Now, I am faced with a difficult decision as to whether to have an implant or a bridge to replace that tooth.  It's a hard choice. The price is not drastically different but the timing for completion of the repair is vastly different.   The other consideration is whether spending $6000 on a 70 year old mouth is wise, when $4000 would give a cosmetically nice result.  Front teeth are important to self-esteem & self-confidence. 

This is the first time I've really had to consider my potential life span as part of a medical choice.

It's unsettling to have a choice like this hanging, I'm hoping that by tomorrow I'll be comfortable with one of the options offered and so that I can commit & also ease my mind.

I guess this is my 'before' pic

❄❄❄❄❄

More snow yesterday, then some sunshine today. The back yard & Blue Spruce are so pretty.  Last year on this day it was 50⁰, so Spring is delayed, but hopefully we start the big melt soon.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails