Wednesday, January 13, 2021

All is well, but I had a few moments today

 I woke up this morning at about 4 a.m. to go to the bathroom and thought it felt really cold in the house. So I went down to check the thermostat and it said it was 53 degrees. I could hear the furnace was humming softly but not kicking in. 

So, I turned it off, turned on the gas fireplace, turned on the heater in the master bathroom, turned on the electric mattress pad and crawled back into bed. 

But of course, I couldn't really go back to sleep. I laid there until about 5am and then I thought I might as well get up clean the cat box, put a new filter in the furnace, which was something I was planning to do today anyway, and then take a shower so I could call the furnace repairman at the dot of 7am. 

But. 

When I opened the door to the utility closet, I could see the floor was went under the water heater.  Totally unrelated to the furnace problem, which turned out to be a fried circuit board, there was a leak in a fitting.

Yet another fitting that disintegrated due to the high iron content in my well water.  


Brass just doesn't cut it in this house.

So, I sent a text to my plumber, and he said he could come this morning, 
then I called the furnace repairman, and he said he could come this morning too.

Both were done by about 1pm.  I had spent my entire government 'stimulus' check but everything was working again, and just in time for my 2pm zoom/bridge date.

Barley was chilled during the outage, she found a warm spot behind the big TV which is on top of the gas fireplace.  It was probably pretty toasty back in that corner.
I caught a photo of her when she was coming out to check on the furnace repair progress.




Then, just to add some spice to my day, I dumped a 16 ounce glass of tonic water into the drawer of my chairside table during the bridge game.  So, lots of wet stuff, most of which will go in the trash, but what a mess.


And to top it off, my heart went racing this morning when I first saw the leak in the water heater.  Eventually, I had to take the 'rescue drug' to get things back to normal rhythm and speed.

Good grief.

But, the kitties are warm now and utility closet is drying out.
All is well.

A FB friend sent me this poem tonight, fitting for my day.


I was helping our local economy today.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails